Boy Scout Merit Badge
- Tell the normal posture or attitude, motion, or action of two farm animals
and two companion animals.
- Make chart showing the normal body temperature and heart and respiration
rates of the horse, cow, pig, sheep, dog, and cat.
- Make a schematic drawing of at least TWO of the following body systems.
For each system, label the parts, and explain the function of each part:
respiratory, digestive, skeletal, and circulatory.
- Prepare a program of animal health maintenance for two farm animals and
one pet. Emphasize adequate housing, feeding, watering, and grooming care (if
required) and exercise. Give the kinds of food that each animal needs.
- Tell the importance of proper nutrition in farm animals and pets.
- Define bacteria, virus, and parasite. Tell how they cause diseases in
animals. Name two diseases of farm animals and of pets caused by each.
- Illustrate and explain the stages of the life cycles of the tick, dog
roundworm, and dog heartworm.
- Name five diseases of animals that are transmissible to humans.
- Spend as much time as possible with a veterinarian. Watch the kind of work
the veterinarian does. Prepare a written summary of your experience.
- Tell about veterinary activities other than direct treatment and handling
BSA Advancement ID#: 114
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002