Boy Scout Merit Badge
- Explain the responsibilities of a salesperson, how he serves his
customers, and how he helps the economy grow.
- Do ONE of the following (including the keeping of records):
- Help your unit raise funds through sales either of merchandise or of
tickets to a Scout event such as a circus or show, accounting for more than
your proportionate share of the sales.
- Earn money for yourself through retail selling.
- Explain the value to a salesperson of the following points, with regard to
the item being sold:
- Properly researching the market for the potential salability of the
- Proper training in sales, particularly concerning the item he wants to
- If possible, visiting the plant that produces the item and seeing the
- Continuing the follow-up with accounts after their primary purchase.
- Develop and present to your counselor a sales program for a territory and
product assigned by the counselor.
- Assume you have the proper background and traits for a sales job that
appeals to you. Prepare a written statement of your qualifications and
experience that you could send to a prospective employer.
- Interview a salesperson and a retailer who buys from salespeople. Submit
your findings to your counselor.
- Make a sales presentation of a product assigned by your counselor of a
- Investigate and report on career opportunities in sales. List high school
courses most helpful in beginning such preparation.
BSA Advancement ID#: 99
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002