Boy Scout Merit Badge
- Sing or play a simple song or hymn chosen by your counselor using good
technique, phrasing, tone, rhythm, and dynamics. Read all the signs and terms
of the score.
- Name the five general groups of musical instruments. Tell how you get
tones from one instrument in each group.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Go to a classical or semiclassical musical performance or listen to
three hours of such programs on radio, television, compact discs, tapes,
records, or videos. Report what you heard. Name the composers, artists, and
conductors. Know the story of any program music or opera you heard. Discuss
how you feel about the music.
- Outline the development of music in the United States. Show that you
know the lives and works of five better-known American composers and musical
- Serve for six months as a member of a school, church, Scout unit, or
other local musical organization, or perform as a soloist in public six
- Do ONE of the following:
- Teach three songs to a group of people. Lead them in singing the songs,
using proper hand motions.
- Compose and write the score for a piece of music twelve measures or
- Make a primitive instrument and learn to play it.
- Catalog your own or your family's collection of 12 or more compact
discs, tapes or records. Show how to handle and store them.
BSA Advancement ID#: 77
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002