Boy Scout Merit Badge
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur
while motorboating, including hypothermia, heatstroke, heat exhaustion,
dehydration, sunburn, insect stings, tick bites, blisters, and
- Do the following:
- Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a
person. Explain how such conditions are recognized.
- Demonstrate proper technique for performing CPR using a training
device approved by your counselor.
- Before doing the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA
swimmer test. Jump feetfirst into water over your head in depth, swim 75 yards
or 75 meters in a strong manner using one or more of the following
strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards or 25
meters using an easy, resting backstroke. The 100 yards or 100 meters must be
swum continuously and include at least one sharp turn. After completing the
swim, rest by floating as motionless as possible.
- Show you know safety laws for motorboating:
- Have a permit to run a motorboat, if needed.
- Explain laws affecting pleasure boating in your state.
- Discuss with your counselor how the hazards of weather and heavy water
conditions can affect both safety and performance in motorboating.
- Promise that you will live up to the Scout Boating code. Explain the
meaning of each point.
- Discuss with your counselor the nautical rules of the road and describe
the national and your state's aids to navigation.
- Explain and show the correct use of equipment required by both state and
federal regulations to be carried aboard a motorboat.
- Explain the requirement on federal and state ventilation rules and state
why this is needed.
- Show you know how to run a motorboat by doing the following the right way:
- Get in a boat.
- Fuel and check motor before starting.
- Start motor and get under way from a dock or beach.
- Run a straight course for a quarter mile. Make right-angle turns to left
or right. Make a U-turn.
- Stop boat. Drop anchor. Raise it. Get under way.
- Come alongside a dock. Tie up or beach.
- Show how to:
- Tie up or take boat from water.
- Store gear.
- Prepare motor for the winter.
BSA Advancement ID#: 76
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002