Boy Scout Merit Badge
- Format four sheets of drawing paper (or two sheets of paper if you are
completing requirement 3) with proper borders and title blocks for your
- Make a rough sketch of your project drawings to determine the correct
size of paper to format.
- Using single-stroke vertical or slant Gothic lettering, fill in all
important information in the title block sections of the formatted paper.
Complete requirement 2 or 3 for your drawing projects.
- Prepare two of the following pencil drawings for reproduction, using two
of the formatted sheets of paper and being sure to fill in the title block
- Architectural: Make a rough sketch of a room. From it, make a finished
scale floor plan. Using conventional symbols, show all openings, equipment,
lights, and safety devices. Use an architectural scale size.
- Mechanical: Make a scale drawing of some piece of craft work or
interesting object. Use the orthographic projection technique to show at
least three views. Use dimension lines to show the actual size.
- Electrical: Draw a simple schematic of a radio or electronic circuit.
Properly print a bill of materials of the major electronic parts of the
radio or circuit. Use standard drawing symbols for the electronic
- Using a CAD (computer-aided drafting) system, prepare and plot one of the
drawings in requirements 2a, 2b, or 2c. Create the format (border and title
block) on the computer before starting the drawing.
- Using a formatted sheet of paper, prepare an isometric drawing of
something not drawn in requirement 2 or 3. On the drawing, list which
instruments you used.
- Lettering: Using single-stroke vertical or slant Gothic lettering,
describe in forty words or less why CAD is used in a particular industry
(aerospace, electronics, architectural, or other). Use the 8½-by-11-inch
- Describe the three most common methods of reproducing pencil drawings.
Describe one method of reproducing a computer drawing. Make copies of one of
your drawings using one of these methods.
BSA Advancement ID#: 42
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002