Boy Scout Merit Badge
- Tell some of the characteristics of 10 breeds of dogs; OR give a short
history of one.
- Point out on a dog (or on a sketch) at least 10 parts. Give the correct
name of each.
- Present a report signed by a parent or guardian describing the care you
have given your dog for 2 months. Include these items: feeding schedule, food
used, housing, exercising, grooming, and bathing. Tell what has been done to
keep the dog alert and healthy.
- Present a written report showing about how much it costs to keep your dog
for 2 months.
- Explain the right way to obedience train. Show with your dog any three of
these commands: "Come," "Sit," "Down," "Heel," "Stay," "Take it," Drop it,"
- Do at least TWO of the following:
- Describe what should be done to remove fleas, ticks, and lice from your
- Describe the symptoms of the following: distemper, rabies, mange,
ringworm. Explain what you would do if your dog showed any of these
- Describe the proper treatment for sore ear, sore eye, fits, removing
something swallowed by a dog, removing something stuck in its throat.
- Explain first aid for a dog bite. List the things as needed in every dog
owner's first aid kit.
- Explain precautions to take in handling a hurt dog. Show how to put on an
emergency safety muzzle. Explain how to treat wounds. Show how to put on a
simple dressing and bandage to the foot, body, or head. Explain what to do if
a dog is hit by a car.
- Tell the dangers of home treatment of a serious ailment. Report on a visit
to a veterinary hospital; or report on a visit to an animal shelter.
- Know the laws and ordinances involving dogs in force in your town.
BSA Advancement ID#: 41
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002