Boy Scout Merit Badge
- Borrow X-ray films. Study the tooth structure. Look for decay. Then do the
- Use the X-ray films as a guide to draw a lower molar. Label its parts
and surfaces. Show surrounding structures such as bone and gum tissues.
- Show on your drawing where the nerves and blood vessels enter the tooth.
- Show on your drawing where bacterial plaque is most likely to be found.
- Do the following:
- Tell or write about what causes dental decay and gum disease. Tell what
each of the following does: bacterial plaque, sugars, and acid.
- Show that you can teach others the proper use of a toothbrush, dental
floss, and disclosing wafers to clean bacterial plaque from teeth.
- Arrange for a visit with a dentist. Before you go, ask if you can be given
a dental examination and a plaque-control demonstration. Afterward, ask
questions about things you want to know. Then write a report on what the
dentist does in a checkup examination.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Name at least five instruments a dentist uses. On separate sheets of
paper, draw them, label them, and explain how they are used.
- With the help of a dentist, prepare a dental plaster cast using a
vibrator, a mixing bowl, a water measure, a plastic measure, model plaster,
a spatula, and a rubber mold.
- Keep a record of everything you eat for 3 days. Circle those that may
provide sugars that bacterial plaque needs to make acid. List snacks that
you should avoid to maintain the best oral health.
- Talk about all of the following. Then select one and prepare a written
- How fluorides help prevent tooth decay. The ways fluorides can be
provided to the teeth.
- First aid for saving a tooth that has been knocked out.
- How the mouth is related to the rest of the body. Topics might include
chewing, saliva, enzymes, nutrition, and speech.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Make a model tooth of soap, clay, papier-mâché, or wax. Using a string
and a large hand brush, show proper toothbrushing and flossing to your troop
or a school class.
- Make a poster on prevention of dental disease. Show the need for good
- Collect at least five advertisements for different toothpastes. List the
claims that are made for each. Tell about the accuracy of the
- Write a feature story for your school newspaper on proper care of teeth
- Make drawings and write about the progress of dental decay. Describe the
types of dental fillings and treatments a dentist can use to repair dental
- Do ONE of the following:
- Report on careers in dentistry: What are the different specialties of
dentistry and what do specialists do?
- Prepare a four-part summary of jobs in dentistry. Under the headings
"Dentist," "Dental Hygienist," "Dental Assistant," and "Dental Laboratory
Technician," list for each job the duties, education, costs of education,
and length of training required, and other information to describe these
BSA Advancement ID#: 40
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002