Boy Scout Merit Badge
- Prepare a short written report or outline for your counselor, giving a
detailed description of your collection, including a short history.
||Stamp and coin
collecting are excluded from eligibility for this merit badge. |
- Explain the growth and development of your collection.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of preserving and displaying your collection.
- Explain the precautions that need to be taken to preserve your
Note precautions for dampness, sun, or other weather conditions.
- Explain how to best display your collection, keeping in mind preserving
as discussed above. Explain to your counselor the events available for a
hobbyist of this collection, including
- Demonstrate your knowledge of collecting and investing. Discuss with your
- How investing and speculation would apply to your collection
- What you would look for in purchasing other collections similar to yours
- What you would expect in return value in the event you decided to sell
all or part of the collection
- Do the following:
- Discuss with your counselor at least 10 terms commonly used in your
collection and be prepared to discuss the definition of each.
- Display to your counselor two different sets of your collection and a
description of each area of the sets. (Note: if your collection is too large
to transport and your counselor is unable to view your collection directly,
photographs should be available to explain and display.)
- Explain how your collection is valued by other collectors and display to
your counselor any price guides that may be available.
- Explain how your collection is graded, including the categories
mentioned above for value, physical defects, size, and age. Show the various
classifications used in your collection.
- List the national, state, or local association responsive to your
- Show the location of and explain to your counselor the following:
- Identification number (if applicable)
- Brand name (if any)
- Any other special identification marks
- Discuss with your counselor how you became interested in this collection
and the plans you have to continue with the collection in the future.
- Discuss with your counselor the career opportunities that may be available
involving your collection.
BSA Advancement ID#: 128
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002