Boy Scout Merit Badge
CITIZENSHIP IN THE NATION
- After reading, discuss with your counselor the following documents:
- Declaration of Independence
- Preamble to the Constitution
- Bill of Rights
- Amendments to the Constitution
- Name the three branches of government and explain their functions. Explain
the checks and balances on each branch of government.
- Outline the relationships between state and federal governments.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Visit the national Capitol.
- Visit your state capitol.
- Tour a federal installation.
Explain your experiences to your counselor.
- Name your two senators and the member of Congress from your congressional
district. Write a letter to one of these elected officials on a national
issue, sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response to
- What are five important functions of your national government? Explain how
these functions affect your family and local community.
- Discuss the main ways by which the federal government is financed.
BSA Advancement ID#: 3
Source: Boy Scout
Requirements, #33215E, revised 2002